June 16, 2013

Pair drag man from bedroom after car was running all night

RYE, NY — A family that mistakenly left a car running overnight in a closed garage and two police officers who came to help were taken to local hospitals Sunday, suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning, Police Commissioner William Connors said.

Connors said an 82-year-old Rye man parked his Subaru Legacy in the garage about 7:30 p.m. Saturday without turning it off. He and his wife called 911 shortly before 9 a.m. Sunday, worried about their 50-year-old son, whose bedroom is above the garage, Connors said.

The parents were at the front door when a sergeant and an officer arrived at the Hunter Lane home tucked next to the Apawamis Club. The two “physically dragged the son out,” Connors said.

“It appeared without hesitation they went into the house without fear for their own safety to rescue this individual,” he said.

Ambulances took the parents and the officers to Westchester Medical Center. The son was initially headed to Greenwich (Conn.) Hospital but might have been redirected to another hospital, Connors said.

“It appeared the son was in the most serious condition,” the police commissioner said.

Names of the victims were not immediately available.

Connors said the sergeant and the officer have been with the department for 14 and 10 years, respectively. Both were experiencing some lightheadness after the incident.

The Rye Fire Department, along with ambulances from the Town of Mamaroneck and Harrison, went to the scene. Firefighters set a large fan on the home’s porch to blow fresh air into the structure.