3:02 PM, Dec 25, 2013
WHITEFIELD, Maine – The Lincoln County Sheriff’s Department says two people have been transported to area hospitals with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning in Whitefield Wednesday morning.
Lieutenant Rand Maker said two people, an 83 year old male and an 84 year old female both fell ill to suspected carbon monoxide poisoning. Officials say the 80 yr old male was transported via LifeFlight with potentially life threatening injuries.
The ice storm left Whitefield as one of the hardest hit communities in Lincoln County. As of 1PM Wednesday, Whitefield had only 4 residents out of 1,210 with power.
Sheriff Maker said that a neighbor checking on the two alerted authorities to the situation. “With weather like this, neighbors were looking out for neighbors.” Maker said it appeared the residents were running a generator in an enclosed garage which allowed fumes to build up in the house. “We need to get the word out these injuries are for real. Improper usage can cost someone their life.”
Central Maine Power officials stressed that any generator in use needs to be outside in a non enclosed area, at least 15 feet away from doors or windows and at least 10 feet from any potential ignition source.
2 Whitefield residents fall ill to suspected CO poisoning
- Kaena Pt. accident may highlight dangers of carbon monoxide
- Will Your Detector Protect You From Carbon Monoxide?
- 4 family members likely died of CO poisoning, Idaho coroner says
- Seven hospitalized in carbon monoxide incident at Ogunquit resort
- New details on Arcadia carbon monoxide incident that sickened 13