, on Thu, 06 Feb 2014 18:52:58

HORSHAM, Pa. – February 6, 2014 (WPVI) — Four people are hospitalized after a carbon monoxide incident in Montgomery County.  It happened just after 9:00 p.m. Thursday in the unit block of Logger Mill Road.

Quan Nguyen tells Action News his mother, father, wife, and son were inside the home when they were overome by the carbon monoxide fumes.  Nguyen says the family had lit a small grill on the back porch to stay warm.   They believed that once the charcoals had stopped smoking and turned gray, it was safe to bring inside. It was not the case as a short time later all were sickened.

Nguyen’s mother rushed next door to get help. A neighbor tells Action News, Nguyen’s father lost consciousness at one point.   All four were transported to area hospitals. Three were taken to Abington Memorial Hospital. The father was taken by helicopter to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.

“My wife and mom are in Abington Hospital. They are probably okay, last time I talked to them they seemed okay. My dad, I don’t know what his status is,” Nguyen said.   The neighbor tells Action News that all four victims were talking and coherent before they were taken to the hospital.   Nguyen says his family was using the grill as a heater for the past two days. Power to the home, meanwhile, was restored around 10:00 p.m.

Problem:  charcoal grill used in house.