http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/carbon-monoxide-sickens-6-in-carmel

Posted: 11/21/2013

Julie Pursley  | Email Me

CARMEL, Ind. – Six people were hospitalized late Wednesday after carbon monoxide from a running SUV filled an apartment building in Carmel, police said.

The incident was reported when firefighters detected carbon monoxide in all seven units of the Legacy Towns and Flats building near 146th Street and River Road. Carmel Fire Marshal Bruce Knott said crews were dispatched on reports of a sick person at the apartments.

When crews arrived, they found an SUV in a closed garage with the ignition on and the gas tank empty.  Investigators said carbon monoxide seeped into the building and every apartment unit had elevated levels of the gas.

The building was evacuated; six people were hospitalized and seven were checked out at the scene.

“The levels were so high that we needed to be concerned about ourselves before they started collapsing and having bad effects. So the fire alarm was pulled in the building to try to get everyone notified. Our firefighters went back and got their air packs on and went through and checked to make sure everyone was out,” Knott said.

Authorities said everyone was expected to be OK.

Knott said detectives are investigating why the SUV’s owner left the vehicle running inside the closed garage.

Officials said carbon monoxide detectors should be in all homes, apartments or businesses that use natural gas or have attached garages. They cost about $400 and could save lives.