New details on Arcadia carbon monoxide incident that sickened 13, on Sun, 23 Feb 2014 22:28:13 -0800

ARCADIA, Wis. (WXOW) – UPDATE: We are learning more information about a carbon monoxide incident that sickened 13 people including a sheriff’s deputy and two EMT’s.

The Trempealeau County Sheriff’s Department said it received a call about an unknown medical issue at W28324 Rainey Valley Rd. in the Town of Arcadia late Sunday afternoon.  Authorities said the first officer that arrived on scene entered the home and immediately smelled a strong chemical odor.  The officer said he went upstairs and found two adults and two children lying on the floor.  The children were unconscious.  The officers said the smell was so overwhelming he instantly felt ill and had to leave the home.

“I observed that there was two adults and two children laying on the floor.  It appeared that the two children were unconscious and the two adults were somewhat moving and moaning.  I tried to make entry into the room to grab the children to remove them and I was overcome and I had to evacuate the room,” said Arcadia Police Officer, Kris Haines.

Officials found 10 people inside the home all sick from carbon monoxide poisoning.  The Sheriff’s Department said the officer and two EMT’s were also overcome by gas.

Three helicopters and five ambulances were sent to the home for the victims. The Sheriff’s Department says the officer and EMT’s were treated and released at a local hospital.

The Sheriff’s Department said it appears a charcoal grill was being used to heat the home because the occupants had ran out of LP gas.

No names are being released at this time. The incident remains under investigation.

Problem:  Charcoal grill used to heat home.