By: Nick Rothschild
Updated: Tue 5:13 PM, Sep 10, 2013

CEDAREDGE, Colo. (KKCO) Tragedy strikes a small Western Colo. town. Reid Gates, 17, has died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Two other teens remain hospitalized after the weekend incident.

A Tragic Accident

Delta County Sheriff Fred McKee calls the incident, ‘a tragic accident.’ In a phone interview with KKCO 11 News on Tuesday morning he said there was no reason to suspect any sort of foul play. McKee told KKCO 11 News the boys were watching a movie in a camper in the garage of one of the boys homes. The sheriff’s office investigation showed no malfunction in the generator being used to heat the camper, but a lack of ventilation in the garage caused the build up of Carbon Monoxide.

Aaron Henrie, 17. and Tyler Cooper, 15, are still in the hospital. As of Tuesday morning, Henrie was listed in critical condition and Cooper is in good condition. Both boys are still receiving treatments from the hospital’s hyperpabaric medicine center.Timeline of Events

The initial report came in over the weekend, Kurt Clay of the Delta County School District told KKCO 11 News the students were in a camper and were overcome by carbon monoxide on Saturday. All three boys were taken to Delta Memorial Hospital and then airlifted to St. Luke’s Hospital. The children’s center of that hospital is called the Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children. All 3 victims were in the Rocky Mountain Hospital for Children, receiving treatment in the hyperbaric oxygen chamber, a machine that increases the oxygen in the tissues of the body.

Monday night, hospital officials confirmed that one of the victims, 17 year old Reid Gates had died. Gates was a superstar in his town. He played football, basketball, and track & field.  [Read More]