National Post Staff | December 24, 2013 1:17 AM ET
A man and his mother died Monday afternoon from carbon monoxide poisoning after the noxious gas likely seeped into their Newcastle, Ont. home from a generator, Durham police say.
At about 3.30 p.m., emergency services were called to the home because the residents felt ill. A 52-year-old man and his 72-year-old mother were rushed to Lakeridge Health Bowmanville, but they did not survive.
Their names have not been released.
Police found a gas-powered generator, that was supplying electricity to help heat the home, running in the garage attached to the house. Although there was no direct access to the house from the garage, carbon monoxide was still able to seep into the home, police say.
On Monday afternoon, all of Veridian Connection’s 2,500 customers in Newcastle were still without electricity after an ice storm knocked out power in the area over the weekend. But by 6.30 p.m. the company had restored power to “most of the community.”
The Durham Regional Police Service and the Clarington Fire Services extended their deepest sympathies to the family, and warned residents that running a gas generator, barbecue or other similar device too close to a residence can lead to deadly carbon monoxide poisoning.
Problem: generator running inside structure