http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/article/20130618/NEWS01/306180048/Residents-evacuated-from-Lansing-home-after-carbon-monoxide-leak?nclick_check=1

Lansing, MI
June 18, 2013
Written by:  Ken Palmer

An incident Tuesday on Lansing’s south side is prompting fire officials to remind residents that everyone should have a working carbon monoxide detector in their home.Firefighters were called to a home in the 100 block of West Northrup Street about 2 p.m. after a carbon monoxide detector had been sounding for several hours, said Lansing Fire Lt. Bruce Odom, public information officer for the department.

The crew detected above-normal levels of carbon monoxide in the house and evacuated the residents while the house was ventilated, he said. Consumers Energy traced the source of the dangerous, odorless gas to a malfunctioning gas range.

The range was replaced, and the residents were allowed back inside, he said.

“People think that carbon monoxide is only a concern during the heating months,” Odom said. “But they still have gas ranges and water heaters, and people still operate power equipment within their garages. So you still have that exposure risk.”