Seven hospitalized in carbon monoxide incident at Ogunquit resort …

Monday, February 24 2014, 06:45 PM EST

OGUNQUIT (WGME) — A carbon monoxide leak at an Ogunquit resort sent seven people to the hospital Sunday morning.

Ogunquit fire officials told CBS 13 seven people were taken to the hospital after the leak was discovered at Inn Seasons Resorts The Falls at Ogunquit, located at 639 Main St.

Ogunquit Fire Chief Mark O’Brien says the carbon monoxide problem was limited to one building, which has been evacuated. O’Brien says readings in the hotel showed 300 parts per million for carbon monoxide, and anything above 35 parts per million is considered dangerous.

“We believe everything was fairly minor,” O’Brien said. “I think a lot of the transports were precautionary. We had symptoms of headaches, nausea and a couple people vomiting. No one was unconscious.”

Chief O’Brien tells CBS 13 that in addition to the seven people taken to the hospital, first responders evaluated 14 others on the scene.

Fire officials also tell us there were no carbon monoxide detectors in the building. According to state law, carbon monoxide detectors are required in “A hotel, motel, inn or bed and breakfast upon initial licensure as an eating and lodging place or a lodging place under Title 22, chapter 562 on or after August
1, 2012.”

Sgt. Joel Davis with the Maine State Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating whether The Falls is exempt from this law.

State law also says the penalty is $500 for each violation.

Chief O’Brien says the building will remain closed until Tuesday or Wednesday. Investigators believe the CO leak came from the building’s furnace.

The Falls at Ogunquit gave no comment on Sunday’s incident or why there were no carbon monoxide detectors in the hotel.

Ogunquit resort won’t be fined after leak of carbon monoxide sickened guests

The law doesn’t require detectors for most buildings that old, officials say.

Problem:  damaged furnace flue