June 25, 2013

Irish Plumber charged over carbon monoxide death at Cork hotel in 2011

A man has been charged in connection with the death from carbon monoxide poisoning of a 35-year-old woman at a hotel in Co Cork two years ago.

Miriam Reidy was found dead at the Trident Hotel in Kinsale in January 2011.

Richard Davis, 44, from Ballygarvan, Co Cork, was charged with her manslaughter at Macroom District Court this afternoon. Mr Davis, a plumber, faces three charges relating to Ms Reidy’s death. He is charged with manslaughter and with two charges under the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act.

One of these alleges that he negligently converted a boiler at the Trident Hotel for use with liquefied petroleum gas in a manner that exposed people there to a risk to their health and safety. The other alleges that as a consequence of this work Ms Reidy suffered injury and died.

Judge James McNulty granted Mr Davis free legal aid. He was told a book of evidence to be compiled on the case will be large and complex.

Mr Davis was remanded on bail until 19 September.

Ms Reidy was in Kinsale with her sister Patricia and a group of around 30 friends attending a hen party for her cousin.

Miriam and Patricia are thought to have returned to the Trident Hotel, where they were staying, at around 3am the following morning.

Friends became concerned when they had not checked out of the hotel by lunchtime later that day.

When their room was checked, Miriam was found dead. Patricia was found unconscious and was rushed to Cork University Hospital, where she was treated for several days.

A subsequent inquest into Ms Reidy’s death heard evidence that she died of acute carbon monoxide poisoning.

A team of up to 25 gardaĆ­ were involved in an investigation into the circumstances surrounding Ms Reidy’s death.