Generator running during power outage apparent causeDec. 23, 2013 6:04 PM |
ALBANY — Vermont State Police say a 60-year-old Orleans County man was found dead Monday of carbon monoxide poisoning from a generator that he was operating in his Albany home following a power outage.
The name of the man and location of the residence were not immediately released because state police were attempting to locate family members.
Authorities said it is the first death or serious incident of the current ice storm, which state officials say is the most severe in Vermont since 1998.
State police in Derby received a call about a possible dead man at a residence about 6:21 a.m. The Albany Fast Squad pronounced the man dead about 7:04 a.m., police said.
The man was transported to the Vermont Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for an autopsy.
When emergency responders arrived at the home, a generator was running due to a power outage at the residence, police said. Initial reports indicated the generator was in a closed garage attached to the home.
“Based on initial investigation and preliminary autopsy report, it was determined that the male died of carbon monoxide poisoning,” state police said in a news release.
Public safety officials throughout the state have been reminding Vermonters during the current ice storm that they should not use generators inside garages or homes.
The machines need proper ventilation and should also be kept away from windows or other areas where exhaust can spread back into living areas.
Early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can be confused with flu-like symptoms and include headache, dizziness and nausea, officials said.
They said carbon monoxide poisoning can also cause sleepiness, vision problems — including blurred vision— ringing in the ears, aching arms and legs, irregular breathing, fatigue and confusion.
At very high levels, carbon monoxide poisoning causes loss of consciousness and death.
Vermonters should check with Vermont 211 if they lose power and need a warm place to stay.
Contact Mike Donoghue at 660-1845 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Problem: generator running inside structure