By Alex Young/South Jersey Times
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on December 17, 2013 at 4:51 PM, updated December 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM
VINELAND — Two families were displaced from a house on Peach Street on Tuesday morning because of increased carbon monoxide levels in the building, according to Vineland fire officials.
Firefighters were called to the house on the 700 block of East Peach Street just after 3:41 a.m. When they arrived, a representative of South Jersey Gas was already on the scene and reported very high levels of carbon monoxide on the upper floors of the house.
The eight people in the house were treated at the scene for dizziness and nausea, and were later taken to an area hospital, according to reports.
Fire officials said the owner of the house had just installed carbon monoxide detectors the day before after experiencing similar problems. Reports indicated that the problem may have been the result of a faulty heating appliance or chimney.
The Southern Shore Chapter of the Red Cross is providing the families with hotel accommodations until the gas service can be turned on safely in the home, according to spokesman Laura Steinmetz.
Officials were unsure of when the families can return to the home.—Contact staff writer Alex Young at 856-451-1000 ext. 550 or firstname.lastname@example.org