A 58-year-old Weatherly man was taken to Hazleton General Hospital after police found him in his home Thursday night suffering from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.

Borough police said they responded to a home in the 400 block of Plane Street at 5:10 p.m. to assist emergency medical services personnel with a possible stroke patient. EMS personnel had warned police of a strong sulfur odor, and told them they found a small dog at the door of the home unresponsive.

The man, who also was unresponsive, was removed from the home and administered medical treatment.

Personnel from the Weatherly Fire Department and American Patient Transport Systems ambulance also responded.

An investigation by police and firefighters found the carbon monoxide came from an ill-fitted stove pipe from a coal stoker.

No information was available Friday on the man’s name or condition.